· he / him
· Carrboro, NC
I'm seeking an engineering leadership role to build sustainable teams and products that improve our society and culture.
- Implemented new team capabilities, including: continuous delivery, feature flags to safely test in production, a production readiness checklist, a security bug bounty program, and a robust Incident Response process with blameless learning reviews, and infrastructure-as-code.
- Founded our Operational Excellence cross-functional team to better deliver high availability, low latency, and high quality product features. Result: in the last 6 months, we hit our quarterly 99.95% availability target, reduced site latency by ~25%, and saved several hours of work per engineer each week by fixing ~100 long-standing bugs.
- Guided our SOA roadmap, migrating from a Ruby on Rails/Postgres monolith to small, well-bounded services (usually TypeScript, AWS Lambda, and DynamoDB).
- Managed 9-month frontend migration from Rails-rendered HTML to statically-generated React-based pages to improve time-to-first-byte latency and availability.
- DRI and program manager on the Tech team for Glossier's 2019 Black Friday Sale and Peak Holiday readiness. Result: 100% site availability, all services remained within SLOs, and we met ambitious sales targets during our highest traffic days.
- Held various roles as needed: individual contributor, line manager, and manager-of-managers.
Previously Engineering Manager and Operations Engineer
- Managed Operations, Platform, and Payments Engineering teams
- Served as interim executive leadership for 9 months during VPE search
- Learned how to coach and mentor
- Overhauled performance evaluations, onboarding, and interview processes
- Responsible for multi-million dollar annual engineering services budget and vendor relationships
- Senior DevOps Engineer at Medidata (2010–2011)
- Senior Engineer at Zenbe (2007–2010, acquired by Facebook)
- Developer at Mint Digital (2006–2007)
- Site Admin at arXiv.org (2004–2006)
Selected writing, talks, and OSS contributions
University of Chicago, B.A. in Mathematics 2004